About the Team
It's no surprise people are passionate about the health and happiness of their pet and our Merchandising (buying) team is no different. When it comes to the products and solutions in our stores, our incredible teams of merchandising associates have everything covered – from head to tail! From keeping up with the top trends to developing new, innovative solutions, our buyers help ensure every pet parent can find exactly what their pet needs at PetSmart. Join our team and show your love for pets by creating products as special as pets themselves!
About the Location
This position may be considered Hybrid based on PetSmart’s FlexSmart policy and business needs. A Hybrid work arrangement is considered to be a blend of onsite and remote work activity. Associates with a Hybrid work arrangement have a work space at Phoenix Home Office and can be required to come onsite between 1-5 days a week as determined by leadership and based on business needs.
About the Job
The Pet Health Compliance Lead supports Pet Health efforts at the Phoenix Home Office (PHO) by leading the compliance activities regarding avian, exotic companion mammals, reptile, amphibian, invertebrate, and aquatic pet health at all levels including vendors, distribution centers, and stores. The Compliance Lead will oversee and follow up on activities related to our Vet AssuredTM program which may include corrective actions, claims, cases, tasks, or projects initiated by audit findings, diagnostic testing results, pet loss/welfare, pet health/husbandry, and continuing education directives to further the team’s mission of continually improving specialty pet health and welfare.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Review live vendor compliance summaries and determine compliance status, risk of non-compliance, and/or applicable resulting actions.
- Initiate and facilitate discussions to determine necessary corrective changes or applicable actions due to non-compliance.
- Compile, review, and manage vendor corrective action requirements generated during activities such as Vet Assured audits, diagnostic or screening test results, new arrival metrics, or other claims/notifications assessing health and welfare standards compliance.
- Manage, communicate, and follow up on corrective changes between vendors, distribution centers, or other animal care facilities and the pet health team until acceptable resolution is reached.
- Consult and collaborate with director and veterinarians on compliance items discovered at any level within Vet Assured standards.
- Lead weekly compliance meeting with pet health team and update specialty teams with compliance items during business review meetings.
- Document related team processes, procedures, work instructions, forms, and maintain records.
- Consult/collaborate with cross-functional partners related to animal health and welfare standards.
- Lead, or represent pet health, related meetings with merchants, planners, and/or other cross-functional partners.
- Proactively analyze data and contribute to system development for tracking related pet health issues or related compliance items to efficiently identify areas for continuous process improvement, then manage and facilitate those projects.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 2+ years of successful project or office management experience.
- 2+ years of exotic/aquatic animal husbandry experience.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and uphold compliance, regulatory, or accreditation standards and processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong customer-focus and the ability to work effectively with diverse teams but also self-motivated with the ability to effectively work independently.
- Demonstrates a high-level of critical thinking/problem-solving and recognizes process application to similar situations.
- An understanding of quantitative analysis and basic descriptive statistics.
- Understands the team’s goals and takes initiative to resolve issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, multi-doctor, retail environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams; and has the willingness and ability to learning/using other software applications.
- Experience with animal husbandry and care in a zoo, public aquarium, commercial aquarium, veterinary school, animal sanctuary, mixed (small animal, avian & exotic, aquatic) practice veterinary clinic, shelter, or other facility housing multiple exotic animals.
- An understanding of medical terminology and biological taxonomy.
- A veterinary technical credential, aquatic life support/biological credential, or a technical credential with auditing experience to support conducting audits/inspections.
About the Culture
At PetSmart, we work hard to create a culture where every associate feels like they truly belong and we celebrate the unique stories, backgrounds, and experiences our associates share. These experiences not only bring new perspectives in shaping our Belonging culture but they’re core to PetSmart’s success.
Not sure if you meet 100% of the position requirements and whether you should apply? We’d still like to hear from you and encourage you to apply with us! You just may be the ideal candidate for this role, and if not this one, perhaps another position.
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- On-site Dog Park
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- On-site coffee bar
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility (associate paid)
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
- Learn more about #LifeAtPetSmart here: https://www.lifeatpetsmart.com/life-at-petsmart/
- Check out Associate stories and share in some celebrations at PetSmart: https://www.blog.lifeatpetsmart.com/
- Explore PetSmart Benefits here: https://benefits.petsmart.com/
- If you don't already live in the Phoenix area here's a guide to the area:Welcome to Phoenix Guide
PetSmart provides an equal opportunity for all associates and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.