Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
This position is a tiered position. Incumbents will have a position level assigned based on their skills and experience, and in alignment with position development plans. Position placement is at Amtrak’s sole and absolute discretion.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the Director Portfolio Management – Major Power Portfolio, the Senior Principal Project Manager will be responsible for managing the Zoo to Paoli Catenary Structure Upgrade Project or other complex capital construction projects, where total project cost exceeds $100M. The Zoo to Paoli Catenary Upgrade Project will replace all existing catenary structures on Amtrak’s Harrisburg line between Philadelphia and Paoli, Pa, install new transmission and an expanded Bryn Mawr substation. Individual in this role will use advance knowledge of project management processes and controls to accomplish project objectives by planning and evaluating project activities with minimal supervision from the Director, and may have either direct reports or matrixed subordinate team members. The role requires regular analytical and metrics based reporting to Senior staff, Executive Governance Committees, Amtrak Board of Directors, Government officials and other external stakeholders. This role will require regular communication and coordination with SEPTA, PENNDOT and the FRA.
Under the direction of the Director Portfolio Management – Major Power Portfolio, the successful candidate will function as the main external and internal-facing point of contact for execution of the Zoo to Paoli Catenary Upgrade Project and future Electric Traction projects within the Amtrak system.
• Develops and implements project plans, schedules and budgets consistent with operational needs and budget allowances and oversees bid negotiations and consultant relationships.
• Manages and monitors project schedules, progress and costs; maintain, adjust and update project plans, as needed; consolidate, communicate and manage all issues and risks affecting the project, and ensure the timely communication of project status to project participants and stakeholders.
• Ensures project progress by measuring the variance in scope, schedule, cost and quality from the respective baselines and takes necessary action to address deviations.
• Ensures project adheres to terms and conditions set forth in applicable grant funding agreements, including but not limited to reporting, tracking costs and procurement requirements.
• Identifies, documents and leads evaluation of changes based on cost, schedule, risk and scope impacts as well as cross functional dependencies. Ensures appropriate packaging of relevant information to support appropriate project change and governance decision processes.
• Mentors and coaches junior level Project Management staff and matrixed team members and provides guidance on adherence to the Project Management practices.
• Works with senior leaders to contribute relevant data to support annual planning activities.
• Provides financial project performance and forecasting reports to senior executives and government regulators.
• Identifies and evaluates the risks associated with project activities and work across organization to establish and monitor mitigation plans.
• Establishes appropriate project governance structures and processes by engaging executive sponsor and key stakeholders.
• Establishes collaborative partnership among stakeholders to enable scoping, financial and resource decisions.
• Develop and maintain required project management documents in accordance with Amtrak Project Management standards and applicable regulations.
• Identifies efficiencies and present recommended improvement opportunities at various levels of management.
• Adheres to Amtrak Enterprise Project Management methodology and standards
• Builds and maintains external relationships to provide effective communication of capital program status and accomplished goals and objectives.
• Develops and administers of the budget for assigned projects; approves the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate.
• Represents Amtrak at meetings and conferences with elected and public officials, the community, private citizens, and public and private organizations.
• Analyzes challenges, problems, and process breakdowns to ensure that lessons learned are used to improve project management and project delivery practices.
• Maintains a teamwork environment within all peers as well as the engineering department’s internal customers.
• • Identifies and recommends processes to be improved to better deliver quality projects.
• Effectively contributes to a safe and secure work environment for employees and travel experience for customers.
• Bachelor’s Degree required OR equivalent combination of training, education and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
• Experience in project management with emphasis on large scale project implementation in the passenger railroad field
• Successfully demonstrates expert knowledge and ability to effectively oversee scope, schedule and budgets of capital improvement and capital maintenance programs
• Extensive experience managing diverse, large, and geographically dispersed groups of individuals
• Extensive experience showing strong interdepartmental leadership with the ability to identify problems and develop and implement solutions
• Extensive understanding of business operations and the impact departmental actions have on the corporation and operations
• Experience working with government agencies and organizations
• 9+ years of relevant experience.
• In lieu of education a minimum of 15 years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of education, training, and work experience is needed
• PMP certification
• Professional Engineer’s (PE) License or Licensed Architect
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or a closely related field
• Experience with or working knowledge of Project or Construction Management, railroad operations and electric traction system
• Advance principles of project management, program development, implementation and administration for improvement and maintenance projects.
• Theories, principles, and practices of passenger railroad systems design, construction, operations, maintenance, safety, accident prevention, and emergency response.
• Applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations governing the design, engineering, and construction of passenger railroad capital improvement and maintenance projects.
• Project delivery, engineering, and maintenance roles, responsibilities, and requirements.
• Principles and practices of capital and operating budgets preparation and administration. Principles and practices of contract negotiation and administration.
• Labor unions agreements.
• The Amtrak organization, Federal Railroad Administration and NEC stakeholders, including state and local governments, commuter railroads and freights.
• Roadway Workers Protection (RWP), NORAC/ Operating Rules; MW 1000, AMT2, AMT23, AMT27.
• Motivate and support people across the organization to work collectively as a cohesive whole to produce superior results
• Conduct meetings and interviews, interpersonal communications, time management, conflict resolution, and to conduct formal investigations.
• Communicate clearly and concisely in verbal and written form, including ability to articulate complex issues, and interact with outside stakeholders as well as all levels of Amtrak.
• Present and discuss programs and projects status with senior management, 3rd parties and the Board of Directors.
• Effectiveness working diplomatically across teams with varying objectives. Identify, organize and lead cross functional multidisciplinary project teams.
• Network with internal and external stakeholders, and leverage relationships to resolve complex project issues.
• Plan, develop and implement objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards to organize and control the design and construction of a capital project.
• Understand, interpret, and apply applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, budgets, contracts, and labor/management agreements.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with superiors, peers, and subordinates across the organization.
• Represent Amtrak before elected officials and the public as requested. Identify talented managers and advocating for their future development. Exercise judgment and creativity in making decisions.
• Use Microsoft Project, Visio and Office, including intermediate level capabilities in the use of Excel, Power Point, and Word.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
The salary/hourly range is $113,200 - $146,664 for the Principal Project Mgr position and $135,800 - $176,040 for the Sr Principal Project Mgr position. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, internal equity, etc. Depending on an employee’s assigned worksite or location, Amtrak may consider a geo-pay differential to be applied to the employee’s base salary. Amtrak may offer additional incentive and pay programs to recognize and reward our employees, including a short-term incentive bonus based upon factors such as individual and company performance that is commensurate with the level of the position and/or long-term incentive plan compensation. In addition to your salary, Amtrak offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, and vision plans; health savings accounts; wellness programs; flexible spending accounts; 401K retirement plan with employer match; life insurance; short and long term disability insurance; paid time off; back-up care; adoption assistance; surrogacy assistance; reimbursement of education expenses; Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility; Railroad Retirement sickness and retirement benefits; and rail pass privileges. Learn more about our benefits offerings here.
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
You power our progress through your performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job. We want your career at Amtrak to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging work, rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, and attractive compensation. Amtrak maintains a culture that values high performance and recognizes individual employee contributions.
Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol. All Amtrak positions requires a pre-employment background check that includes prior employment verification, a criminal history check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Candidates who test positive for marijuana will be disqualified, regardless of any state or local statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Amtrak's pre-employment drug testing program is administered in accordance with DOT regulations and applicable law.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
In accordance with federal law governing security checks of covered individuals for providers of public transportation (Title 6 U.S.C. §1143), Amtrak is required to screen applicants for any permanent or interim disqualifying criminal offenses.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.