Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the Director and Senior Manager Capital Construction, the Manager of Capital Construction is responsible for the execution of specific large or mega complex capital construction projects, where total project cost exceeds $100M. Individual in this role use advance knowledge of construction management principals and oversight to accomplish project objectives by executing project activities with minimal supervision from the Director, and may have either direct reports or matrixed subordinate team members. The role requires regular analytical and metrics based reporting to Senior staff, Executive Governance Committees, Amtrak Board of Directors, Government officials and other external stakeholders. Under the direction of the Sr. Manager Capital Construction within Amtrak’s Capital Delivery, Major Power Infrastructure Portfolio, the successful candidate will execute all aspects of construction project management for design and construction for execution of various Electric Traction projects within the Amtrak system. Projects include full replacement of OCS system, substation construction and renewal of overhead catenary wires.
• Lead construction management team and dictate required resources. Has the overall responsibility for the planning, coordination, integration, execution and tracking of assigned projects. Directs, manages, and coordinates construction of projects to ensure that critical issues are addressed.
• Responsible for construction management functions including review resource planning, provide information for scheduling and integration, implementation, reports and closeout with respect to design and construction of Electric Traction projects, as directed by the Senior Principal Project Manager.
• Responsible for the implementation of technical standards, policies, and procedures for work performed by Amtrak forces and third party contractors.
• Responsible for managing third party contracts to ensure construction is completed per approved contract plans and specifications. Responsible to review and process contractor payments, evaluate change orders, and address submittals and RFI’s.
• Assists with the coordination of all construction activities between Amtrak personnel and contractors. Ensures effective utilization and scheduling of third-party contractors and force account labor. Ensures effective communication with Transportation for coordination of outages required to complete work.
• Builds and maintains relationships with internal/external customers to accomplish objectives and provide effective communication
• Maintains a teamwork environment within all peers as well as the engineering department’s internal customers.
• Assist with development of scope, schedules, estimates and cost-control measures for both short and long-term resource planning
• Prepares construction cost estimates and schedules in coordination with the Sr. Principal Project Manager. Also responsible for preparing force account resource requests, tracking force account labor, material, and other resources.
• Manages the oversight of project budgets
• Thorough understanding of SSSWP Requirements and SSSWP approval process to ensure timely approval to maintain construction contractor and project schedule
• Oversees the development and implementation of construction-related safety plans and programs driven at all levels with specific goals and objectives to reduce injuries for all related projects.
• Oversees all aspects of construction inspection and construction reports that are required by Amtrak and the FRA to ensure that construction is in compliance with current Amtrak, Federal, State, and local requirements.
• Prior satisfactory job performance required
• Must have extensive railroad industry experience or relevant experience (e.g./ construction and field production methods, operations and procedures) sufficient to plan and direct activities
• Demonstrated project/construction management and supervisory experience
• Demonstrated planning, scheduling, budget, and finance/cost control experience
• Knowledge of FRA regulations, OSHA requirements, and other federal, state, and local regulations and standards sufficient to ensure compliance
• Experience demonstrating skill using PC-based word processing and spreadsheet software (e.g., Word, Excel) sufficient to prepare correspondence and manage budget
• Demonstrated ability to work under tight time constraints, pressure and multiple priorities
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Advance principles of project management, program development, implementation and administration for improvement and maintenance projects.
• Theories, principles, and practices of passenger railroad systems design, construction, operations, maintenance, safety, accident prevention, and emergency response.
• Applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations governing the design, engineering, and construction of passenger railroad capital improvement and maintenance projects.
• Project delivery, engineering, and maintenance roles, responsibilities, and requirements.
• Labor unions agreements.
• The Amtrak organization, Federal Railroad Administration and NEC stakeholders, including state and local governments, commuter railroads and freights.
• Roadway Workers Protection (RWP), NORAC/General Code Operating Rules; MW 1000, AMT2, AMT23, AMT27.
• Motivate and support people across the organization to work collectively as a cohesive whole to produce superior results
• Communicate clearly and concisely in verbal and written form, including ability to articulate complex issues, and interact with outside stakeholders as well as all levels of Amtrak.
• Network with internal and external stakeholders, and leverage relationships to resolve complex project issues.
• Plan, develop and implement objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards to organize and control the design and construction of a capital project.
• Understand, interpret, and apply applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, budgets, contracts, and labor/management agreements.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with superiors, peers, and subordinates across the organization.
• Use Microsoft Project, Visio and Office, including intermediate level capabilities in the use of Excel, Power Point, and Word.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or a closely related field
• 7+ years relevant experience
• Experience with or working knowledge of Project or Construction Management, railroad track, structures, facilities, signals, and electric traction system
• Extensive construction project management and supervisory experience
• Knowledge of Amtrak policies, NORAC operating rules, RWP, AMT2, and MW1000 sufficient to ensure compliance
• Knowledge of Union workforce and labor contracts
• Knowledge of applicable labor agreements sufficient to ensure compliance
• Strong interdepartmental leadership with the ability to identify problems and develop solutions
• Extensive experience in railroad maintenance and construction
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
The salary/hourly range is $113,200 - $146,664. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, internal equity, etc. Depending on an employee’s assigned worksite or location, Amtrak may consider a geo-pay differential to be applied to the employee’s base salary. Amtrak may offer additional incentive and pay programs to recognize and reward our employees, including a short-term incentive bonus based upon factors such as individual and company performance that is commensurate with the level of the position and/or long-term incentive plan compensation. In addition to your salary, Amtrak offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, and vision plans; health savings accounts; wellness programs; flexible spending accounts; 401K retirement plan with employer match; life insurance; short and long term disability insurance; paid time off; back-up care; adoption assistance; surrogacy assistance; reimbursement of education expenses; Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility; Railroad Retirement sickness and retirement benefits; and rail pass privileges. Learn more about our benefits offerings here.
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
You power our progress through your performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job. We want your career at Amtrak to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging work, rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, and attractive compensation. Amtrak maintains a culture that values high performance and recognizes individual employee contributions.
Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol. All Amtrak positions requires a pre-employment background check that includes prior employment verification, a criminal history check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Candidates who test positive for marijuana will be disqualified, regardless of any state or local statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Amtrak's pre-employment drug testing program is administered in accordance with DOT regulations and applicable law.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
In accordance with federal law governing security checks of covered individuals for providers of public transportation (Title 6 U.S.C. §1143), Amtrak is required to screen applicants for any permanent or interim disqualifying criminal offenses.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.